Before you start looking for a home you should ask yourself a few questions.
Where do you want to live? Do you want to be close to schools, shopping, or work?
What kind of house would you like (need)? Are you looking for a particular style? How many bedrooms and bathrooms do you want? Do you want a yard?
How much house can you afford? Have you consulted a Realtor or mortgage lender to determine the size of the mortgage you would qualify for?
Here are a few tips to help you get organized:
- Pull a credit report on yourself and make sure the information is accurate. If you find any errors take steps to correct them immediately.
- Browse through real estate advertisements. This will give you a good feel for the types of homes that are on the market and what they cost.
- Visit open houses on the weekend. It doesn’t cost anything to look, and looking at a few different homes might give you some ideas for things you’d like in a house but haven’t considered.
- Start saving money – you’ll need to have cash on hand for a down payment and closing costs.
- Don’t incur any additional debt.